Protecting Truth During Tension

As the Israeli-Palestinian conflict develops and the rise of hate crimes persists, TML is on the ground in the Middle East and beyond writing stories that readers like you and other media outlets rely on. To ensure that you have immediate access to unbiased, fact-based reporting, it is crucial that TML has the resources to disseminate these stories in real-time. Please help us protect the truth during these critical times by making a donation today.
The Media Line is proud to assume this responsibility and has over 20 years of success in shaping the role of news reporting in the region. We hope you will support our efforts by making a donation today.

In our modern, digital world, we are not as far away from each other as we once were, which is why news agencies have a responsibility to put forth reliable, trustworthy journalism more than ever before.
TML is proud to assume this responsibility.
We hope you will support our efforts.

Thank you!

Thank you for confidence in The Media Line.
 
Felice Friedson
Founder, President
Israeli Defense Minister Calls for Annexation of West Bank Settlements
The Israeli settlement of Givat Ze'ev, near the Palestinian city of Ramallah in the West Bank, November 2019. (Ahmad Gharabli/AFP via Getty Images)

Israeli Defense Minister Calls for Annexation of West Bank Settlements

Naftali Bennett, Israel’s defense minister and head of the New Right party, said on Wednesday that the Jewish state should immediately extend its sovereignty to Israeli settlements in the West Bank. This came in response to an Israeli-Palestinian peace plan that US President Donald Trump unveiled on Tuesday. Israeli annexation of all of the settlements is an element of Trump’s plan. Bennett was less enthusiastic about another element of the plan – the establishment of a Palestinian state in much of the West Bank, all of the Gaza Strip, and parts of Israel that would be transferred to Palestine in the framework of land swaps. “The Israeli government will not recognize a Palestinian state,” Bennett asserted. According to “Peace to Prosperity: A Vision to Improve the Lives of the Palestinian and Israeli People,” a document released by the White House that lays out the Trump plan, “approximately 97% of Israelis in the West Bank will be incorporated into contiguous Israeli territory” while the other 3% will live in Israeli enclaves surrounded by Palestinian territory. “Last night history knocked on the door of our home and gave us a one-time opportunity to apply Israeli law on all settlements in Samaria, Judea, the Jordan Valley and the northern Dead Sea,” Bennett said, using the Israeli terms for areas of the West Bank. Bennett’s call comes on the backdrop of an election campaign: His New Right party will be competing with Netanyahu’s Likud and additional parties for the votes of right-wingers in the upcoming election, set for March 2. The current administration, a caretaker government that does not have majority support in Israel’s parliament, may not have the authority to pass legislation that would be required to annex the settlements.

Did you know we’re celebrating our 20th Anniversary as the 1st American News Agency exclusively covering the Middle East?

  • The Middle East landscape is changing rapidly.
  • The roads in the region open to new possibilities.
  • The Media Line continues to pave the way to a far greater understanding of the region’s land, people, policies and governments through our trusted, fact-based news.

We’re an independent, ad-free, non-profit news agency and rely on friends like you!

Please make your gift today.
Thank you!

We paved the way to be the Trusted Mid East News you can rely on!

We’re an independent, ad-free, non-profit news agency and rely on friends like you!

Invest in the
Trusted Mideast
News source.
We are on the
front lines.

Personalize Your News
Upgrade your experience by choosing the categories that matter most to you.
Click on the icon to add the category to your Personalize news
Browse Categories and Topics
Wake up to the Trusted Mideast News source Mideast Daily News Email
By subscribing, you agree to The Media Line terms of use and privacy policy.
Wake up to the Trusted Mideast News source Mideast Daily News Email
By subscribing, you agree to The Media Line terms of use and privacy policy.