Morocco Holding Seven Men Said to be Planning ISIS Attack
Casablanca’s commercial port is shown on June 21. (Frédéric Soltan/Corbis via Getty Images)

Morocco Holding Seven Men Said to be Planning ISIS Attack

The head of one of Morocco’s security services says that members of an Islamic State terror cell, arrested last week, were planning to attack the commercial port in Casablanca. Abdelhak Khiame, director of the Central Bureau of Forensic Investigation, sometimes called Morocco’s FBI, said the seven detainees, ranging in age from 19 to 27, had been radicalized online, meaning they are not known to have traveled anywhere to be under the direct control of ISIS. He added that they most likely were the last cell to pledge fealty to ISIS leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi before he was killed overnight between Saturday and Sunday during a US Special Forces raid in Syria. He also said that a Syrian national who had provided the cell with assistance was still at large. On Friday, Moroccan police said the men had been in the possession of guns and materials for the manufacture of bombs, as well as an inflatable dinghy.

Invest in the
Trusted Mideast
News source.
We are on the
front lines.

Personalize Your News
Upgrade your experience by choosing the categories that matter most to you.
Click on the icon to add the category to your Personalize news
Browse Categories and Topics
Wake up to the Trusted Mideast News source Mideast Daily News Email
By subscribing, you agree to The Media Line terms of use and privacy policy.
Wake up to the Trusted Mideast News source Mideast Daily News Email
By subscribing, you agree to The Media Line terms of use and privacy policy.