Muhammad al-Qiq, a Palestinian journalist held in Israel without trial, has ended a 94-day hunger strike that brought him to death’s door after his lawyers struck a deal with the Israeli authorities.
Qadura Fares, the head of the Palestinian Prisoner’s Society, told media that a “compromise” short of al-Qiq’s immediate release had been achieved.
Israel’s six-month administrative detention sentence against al-Qiq will not be renewed, while his lawyers managed to push the date of his release to May 21, he said.
Under the new terms of his detention, al-Qiq will also be allowed visits from his family, including his wife, two children, and father. Israel has agreed to transfer the hunger-striker to any hospital in Israel, although Fares said they had not agreed to transfer him to a hospital in the occupied Palestinian territory.