Recent Fighting in Yemen is ‘Worst’ in Years and Significant Aid is Needed, UN Officials Say
Recent fighting in Yemen is “among the worst … seen in Yemen for years,” UN Special Envoy Hans Grundberg told the United Nation Security Council on Wednesday. Grundberg also said that “there is no sustainable long-term solution to be found on the battlefield” and that the parties to the seven-year-long civil war need to “talk, even if they are not ready to put down their arms.” In the same session, UN Acting Assistant Secretary-General for Humanitarian Affairs and Deputy Emergency Relief Coordinator Ramesh Rajasingham told the Security Council that at least $3.9 billion in humanitarian aid funds will be needed to help some 16 million people. Last year, the UN appealed for the same amount of money, and only received about 58% from donor countries, hampering the UN’s ability to help Yemen’s displaced or injured in the conflict. He added that the rebel Houthis have prevented UN humanitarian staff from accessing Yemenis who need their help. Meanwhile, according to the UN officials, the civil war has made the situation of girls and women in Yemen even worse, including “restrictions on basic rights like freedom of movement, reduced access to education, and higher rates of illiteracy and poverty,” according to Rajasingham. Women also have been exposed to more sexual and gender-based violence.