Houthis Claim at least 60 Killed in Saudi-led Air Strike on Yemen
Houthi rebels say some 60 bodies have been pulled so far from the rubble of a detention center it runs in Dhamar, in southwestern Yemen, following a Sunday air strike by the Saudi-led coalition behind exiled President Abdrabbuh Mansur Hadi. The Red Cross says it is sending emergency supplies to the area. According to the Houthis, many among the casualties were captured government soldiers. The coalition said it attacked a site used for the storage of weapons, including missiles and drones. The rebels, who control the country’s main population centers – they recently captured most of the southern port city of Aden, to where the government withdrew after being forced out of the capital Sanaa in 2014 – and have repeatedly used missiles and drones to strike targets in Saudi Arabia, in one case an important oil pipeline deep within the kingdom. Yemen has been wracked by war since 2015, when the coalition began military efforts to reinstate Hadi and his government. The Houthis are backed by Tehran, Riyadh’s archnemesis. The war has directly killed thousands, but tens of thousands more have died from starvation and the lack of commodities, including medicine, due to the fighting.